The History of Lavenham Lawn Tennis Club Tennis has been played for some considerable time in and around the village. Play took place on Lower Road, by the Common, just after the First World War and on Lion Meadow (off the High Street) in the 1920's.
For a time play was transferred to the end of Cock Alley on Pit Meadow (now Meadow Close) before once again returning to Lion Meadow. First arrivals were required to mark out the court for the evening's play and one can presume that there were a few late starts!
Eventually Lion Meadow was sold and playing was confined to privately owned courts until the late 1940's.
On 31st March 1953,the Rector offered his top lawns for tennis. Two grass courts were mowed and marked out and Lavenham Tennis Club was born.
Those were the days of frugal organisation, the balance at the bank being recorded as being 1s 3d (7p) and no one was allowed home until all the balls had been found!
In 1963 the part of the Rectory garden on which the tennis courts stood was sold for housing and on July 15th 1963 the old Lavenham Tennis Club was no more.
On15th May 1971, amid great excitement, two new tennis courts were opened on the Recreation Ground on Bridge Street Road and the new Lavenham Lawn Tennis Club was formed with a membership of just thirty people.
Form that time the club has grown, a third court being added in 1975 and a fourth, in conjunction with a new clubhouse, in 1986.
In the mid 1990's three of the courts were resurfaced with artificial grass, the fourth was converted from a hard court in 2000. Floodlighting to three of the courts was carried out in November 2002, and a new sports pavilion serving the football, cricket and tennis clubs was completed in the Spring of 2003.
The club competes in the Halstead and District League, our Mixed A team having won the Division One title 5 times in the last 6 years, with teams competing in Men?s and Ladies Doubles during the Summer months and others in the Winter League.
Our twice-weekly club nights (Tuesdays and Fridays from 18:00 onwards) are well supported as is the Thursday morning Ladies morning (from 09:00 onwards).
We run our own internal competitions culminating in a Finals Day in September to round off the season.
Several social tournaments give players of all ability the opportunity to participate in competitive tennis.
Membership has grown to the extent that we now have some 200 players from Lavenham and the surrounding district, almost a third of whom are Juniors, giving much encouragement for the future.
Coaching is also available to all levels via our club coach, Richard Porter.